By adopting a new 3-step morning routine that is easy to remember and apply, you give yourself every chance of having a productive day! Devoting the first few minutes of your morning to your well-being is a habit that could very well transform your day! You’ll feel serene and ready to face the challenges of everyday life, and you’ll be rewarded immediately.
The 15x15x15 morning ritual
Michael Breus is a clinical psychologist and sleep specialist based in Los Angeles. He has published books on chronobiology to explain how to harmonise the various tasks of daily life with your biological rhythm. He has also developed a technique that is easy to remember and apply to establish an effective morning routine and be more productive: the 15x15x15 method.
Thanks to 3 very simple gestures that he performs every morning, he gently wakes up his body and mind:
- Spend 15 minutes in the sun
- Do 15 stretching or deep breathing movements
- Drink 15 ounces of water (about 430 ml, let’s keep it to 2 glasses for simplicity)
3 key factors for waking up in the morning
Here’s why these 3 simple habits can help you wake up and be more productive throughout the day:
- Exposure to natural light activates the feeling of being awake. This is because melanopsin, a photopigment present in the ganglion cells of the retina, reacts to blue radiation emitted by the sun. This process is closely linked to the regulation of circadian cycles (the alternation of day and night) and to mood, with the lack of natural light often being blamed for seasonal depression in winter. In addition, the body synthesises vitamin D from the sun’s ultraviolet rays: this new habit will also help to strengthen your immune system.
- After a few hours of lying still, it is also a good idea to gradually get your body moving again. Whether you choose to take a few steps in the garden, do some gentle stretching or breathing exercises, get back in touch with the world at your own pace and enjoy the moment in the right conditions before you start your working day. In the long run, you’ll be more relaxed and minimise muscle tension while improving your flexibility.
- Drinking a glass of water when you wake up is also the best idea you can have: during sleep, the body dehydrates. While lying down, toxins from physiological processes carried out during the night accumulate, especially in the kidneys. Drinking helps to stimulate the lymphatic circulation while helping to keep your skin beautiful and your brain reoxygenated.
Break down the formula and create your own morning routine
Why is the 15x15x15 formula so successful? Because it is so easy to remember! There are several ways to create your own ritual, depending on the time you have available and the way you want to articulate these different criteria in your morning routine. Here are 2 ideas to get you started; choose yours!
Routine 1, 2, 3, Go! – For mornings in a hurry H3
Every morning, get up and drink a large glass of water. Then, do 2 sets of 10 movements, mixing stretching and/or yoga postures if you wish. Finish with 3 sets of 10 deep breaths with your eyes closed and your face in the sun, ideally in a garden or park.
Routine 10, 20, 30 – For those who like to take their time in the morning
Open your eyes and start the day with a series of 10 deep breathing exercises. Drink 200 ml of water and then go for a 30-minute walk in nature.
Of course, as always, the best ritual is your own. A dash of sunshine, water and a little exercise; mix these three ingredients as you see fit to create your morning ritual.
Check out our Health & Fitness page for more advice.